Monarch Bioenergy is a joint venture between Roeslein Alternative Energy (“RAE”), the renewable division of Smithfield Foods, and the private equity firm TPG Capital. Launched in 2018, Monarch uses RAE’s anaerobic digester technology to capture methane emissions from manure and convert the gas into carbon negative, pipeline-quality natural gas. Monarch currently operates 8 production facilities in Missouri and plans to build 30 more across the country over the next 5 years. Future production facilities will be located in proximity to Smithfield Foods farms, and target geographies include North Carolina and Texas.
With TPG’s support, Monarch is building out a corporate infrastructure as the company transitions to a formal stand-alone entity. As such, the company now seeks to hire a Corporate Controller to take responsibility for the overall accounting function, supporting current and future operations. The Controller will help build out a small finance team, including regional controllers to support localized operations, and will report directly to the CFO. The role may be based anywhere in the U.S. with preference toward candidates near company operations in Missouri, North Carolina, or Texas.
Experience & Requirements
• At least 15 years of professional experience, including broad business experience and knowledge across multiple disciplines
• Enterprise leadership experience across multiple legal entities, acting as the top accounting executive in a company or large business unit, with associated C-Suite and Board exposure
• Expert knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control rules and guidelines
• Expert financial, quantitative, and analytical skills. Excels in issue identification and problem solving
• Experience in the development, recommendation, analysis, and tracking of operations improvements
• Experience working within privately held organizations; past IPO experience is a plus
• Strong understanding of economic, tax and banking processes for private and public companies
• Experience recruiting, developing, and retaining top talent
• Experience supporting business decisions at the local and enterprise level, including evaluation, cost/benefit modeling, and risk analysis
• Displays a high level of initiative; invites, challenges, and explores new ideas while understanding and communicating risks
• Naturally inclusive and collaborative across a full range of internal stakeholders; leads cross-functionally by influence
• Nimble and entrepreneurial in nature; makes decisions with imperfect information; wired for a fast-paced, high-change, private-equity sponsored environment