Berner Food & Beverage (Berner) is a supplier of shelf-stable, dairy-based food and beverage products to large CPG companies, emerging beverage brands, and private label retailers nationwide. Berner is a single source partner for food and beverage products including ready-to-drink coffees and teas, dips, sauces, and snacks. Berner is backed by Peak Rock Capital, a leading mid-market private equity firm.
Berner seeks to hire a Director of Engineering & Maintenance to transform the function by increasing equipment reliability, developing maintenance programs and standards, managing spare parts and inventory, providing technical support, and instilling a culture of continuous improvement. The role will lead all technical and maintenance activities for the company, including 3 direct reports consisting of a Senior Manager Technical Servies, Maintenance Manager of Food, and Maintenance Manager of Beverages, and a team of over 80 engineers and technicians. The role will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and is based in Dakota, Illinois, near Rockford.
Experience & Requirements
• 10+ years of experience in engineering, reliability, or maintenance functions supporting manufacturing, with experience in engineering, operations, capital project execution, process development, and/or new product introduction.
• Experience in food or FDA regulated environments preferred.
• Experience with retort or aseptic manufacturing highly desirable
• Expertise in technical, maintenance, and reliability programs that support manufacturing operations. Proven proficiency in creating and executing equipment reliability strategies. This includes development of consistency, best practices, and synergies while optimizing performance of equipment and minimizing unplanned downtime.
• Experience developing and institutionalizing disciplined engineering standards pertaining to equipment reliability, equipment installation, and replacements.
• Experience leading internal and external engineering design for capital projects, plant expansions, line extensions, and maintenance projects/equipment upgrades.
• Experience applying Lean manufacturing concepts to reduce cost and improve productivity with a demonstrated track record of driving positive change.
• Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills, comfortable and credible with both internal and external audiences.
• A collaborative individual with interpersonal skills to build support, influence action, and drive culture change
• A flexible, dynamic, self-demanding and proactive individual; able to motivate him/herself and others; a natural bias for action and ability to deal with ambiguity.