Ultra Maritime delivers market-leading mission systems and application engineering solutions in the maritime domain. Their capabilities, including sonar, sonobuoy, naval sensors, and power systems, are operational on naval fleets across the US, UK, and allied navies worldwide. Headquartered in Braintree, Massachusetts, Ultra Maritime operates 7 principal manufacturing locations globally across 5 lines of business and generates annual revenue of ~$500M.
The Director of Operations will be responsible for leading the Yaphank, NY and Wallingford, CT manufacturing operations for the Signature Management and Power (SMaP) line of business. Both facilities produce a high mix of specialty components, working closely with internal counterparts based in the UK on shared contracts for cutting-edge SMaP systems. The Director will lead a team of 9 direct reports, inclusive of Operations, Materials, Production, Quality, & Purchasing, and oversee a total of ~180 people across both sites. The role will report to the VP/GM of SMaP, with a dotted line reporting relationship to the SVP of Operations.
Experience & Requirements
• 10+ years of leadership experience in a manufacturing environment of relevant size, structure, and complexity. (i.e. 200+ employees, multiple product lines). Experience in the Aerospace & Defense industry preferred.
• Experience applying Lean manufacturing concepts to reduce cost and improve productivity; experience developing and leading continuous improvement programs; demonstrated track record of driving positive change.
• Strong problem-solving and analytical skills in support of metrics, data, and process-oriented objectives; ability to succinctly report on operations measures to internal and external stakeholders.
• Demonstrated functional expertise in supply chain, including procurement, logistics, and S&OP.
• Effective communication skills, including written, verbal, and presentation skills; comfortable and credible with both internal stakeholders and external audiences.
• Strong leadership skills and proven judgment of talent, with an emphasis on hiring and developing high-performing teams; able to influence, lead, and manage a large, diverse, team within a matrixed organization
• A clear ‘bias for action’ and sense of urgency to operate within a fast-paced and entrepreneurially minded organization.