Founded in 1946, American Chemet Corporation (Chemet) is a privately-owned manufacturer and marketer of metal-based chemicals and is well known for its range of copper oxide products that help move, shelter, and feed the world. Chemet’s offerings are commonly used for antifouling coatings, catalysts, agricultural applications, ceramics, copper chemical production and ferrite production. The company has several hundred million in annual revenues, is consistently profitable, and has operations in Montana, Tennessee, and Illinois.
Chemet is in its third generation of family ownership. Ownership has consolidated through the decades, with two families now owning most of equity, both of which are represented on the executive leadership team and Board. Chemet’s culture is part of its success. Executive engagement is high, turnover is low at all levels, and there is a tangible sense of loyalty to the Company and team. Helena is Chemet’s primary corporate and operation location, and Chemet is well established in the community as a leading private employer.
Founded on a strong tradition of entrepreneurship, Chemet continues to invest in innovation and is executing plans for organic growth involving a series of new offerings and markets. To support this growing complexity, Chemet is seeking a Director of Supply Chain to develop and mature the company’s existing logistics and procurement systems, processes, and strategy. This position reports to the VP of Operations and is located in Helena, Montana.
• Strategic Sourcing: Develop and implement strategic sourcing and category management initiatives to drive savings, create value, and support the objectives of the organization. Structure analysis of spend to enable informed decision-making and drive discussions with key stakeholders. Ensure sourcing efforts leverage market intelligence, should-cost modeling, and TCO analysis.
• Supplier Development: Build a robust and centralized supplier management program. Manage suppliers, ensuring supply reliability and continuity, price stability, price predictability, innovation, and identification of alternative sources. Optimize value, quality, and security of supply by measuring performance and maintaining relationships with suppliers. Ensure suppliers are performing to contracted obligations and service levels, and meeting stakeholder expectations. Initiate quarterly business reviews with suppliers to review performance and trend program direction. When performance issues emerge, lead interactions with the supplier to ensure efficient resolution. Identify and pursue opportunities to centralize spend and leverage relationships for company savings.
• Contracting: Develop innovative contracting approaches consistent with category strategy and business objectives through performance measures, incentives, long term agreements, partnerships, etc. Address business, market, and supplier risks. Work with finance and legal resources to develop T&C’s that optimize business and supplier requirements.
• Internal Relationship Management: Manage internal stakeholder relationships. Develop a business relationship with functional stakeholders and solicit feedback on sourcing and vendor performance, share and discuss supply base opportunities, and identify new and changed needs. Involve key stakeholders in sourcing development and execution.
Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree required; Supply Chain or Business preferred.
• At least 7 years of strategic sourcing experience and managing advanced negotiations. Experience with commodity hedging strongly preferred.
• Broad-based commodity Procurement experience; strategic sourcing, category management, contract management, and supplier performance management. Proven track record of ERP implementation is a plus.
• Expert-level financial and analytical skills; embraces fact-based decision making; naturally seeks to leverage and/or integrate market data, spend analytics, and modeling.
• Knowledge of demand and supply planning preferred. Experience managing logistics staff to ensure quality and on-time delivery of product on a regular basis.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively interact in a cross-functional environment with all levels of management and employees.
• Track record of year-over-year delivery of distinctive value from strategic supply chain activities.
• Demonstrated ability to build and maintain internal relationships and influence procurement decisions.
• Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills; comfortable and credible with both internal stakeholders and external audiences.
• A flexible, dynamic, self-demanding and proactive individual; able to motivate themselves and others.