Founded in 1920, Herff Jones is one of the largest producers of class rings, yearbooks, and achievement products in North America. The company has ~$400 million in annual revenue, operates five company-owned manufacturing plants, and is headquartered in Indianapolis, IN. Notably, Herff Jones produces a ring for the Indianapolis 500 winner each year. Herff Jones currently operates five manufacturing sites in Illinois, Virginia, Kansas, and Rhode Island with corporate headquarters based in Indianapolis. The two Illinois facilities, located in Arcola and Champaign, are manufacturing operations focused on cap and gown products, while the Warwick facility focuses on the jewelry business segment.
Herff Jones is investing to mature financial management processes in their Jewelry Business segment. To support this transformation, Herff Jones is looking to hire a Plant Controller to be a dynamic leader on the plant leadership team by contributing to all areas of plant management and providing financial thought leadership. This position will oversee the month end close process, review balance sheet reconciliations, provide appropriate controls and compliance, and lead various manufacturing financial analyses. The position will be based in Warwick, Rhode Island and will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
Experience & Requirements
• At least 10+ years of professional experience across multiple functions within finance and accounting disciplines; Experience in a manufacturing environment is required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Statistics, Business, or a related discipline required; CPA is strongly preferred. MBA is preferred but not required.
• Solid understanding of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control rules and guidelines (e.g., Generally Accepted Accounting Principles).
• Experience building and managing financial models for short, medium, and long-term (multi-year) projections for financial performance (sales, profit, cash, etc.) including variance analysis and “root cause” explanations.
• Experience leading enterprise budgeting & forecast processes for both functional and business entities; Includes development of “what if” scenarios for revenue pricing, manufacturing input costs, and SG&A.
• Strong financial, quantitative, and analytical skills. Excels in issue identification and problem solving.
• Ability to translate complex topics, policies, or rules in accounting and lending compliance contracts to constituencies within finance function and non-financial staff.
• Ability to coach and develop a team in an environment with an evolving structure, processes, and IT tools.
• Displays a high level of initiative; invites, challenges, and explores new ideas while understanding and communicating risks.
• Naturally inclusive and collaborative across a full range of internal stakeholders; leads cross-functionally by influence.
• Nimble and entrepreneurial in nature; makes decisions with imperfect information; wired for a fast-paced, high-change environment.