Monarch Bioenergy is a joint venture between Roeslein Alternative Energy (“RAE”), the renewable division of Smithfield Foods, and the private equity firm TPG Capital. Launched in 2018, Monarch uses RAE’s anaerobic digester technology to capture methane emissions from manure and convert the gas into carbon negative, pipeline-quality natural gas. Monarch currently operates 8 production facilities in Missouri and plans to build 30 more across the country over the next 5 years. Future production facilities will be located in proximity to Smithfield Foods farms, and target geographies include North Carolina and Texas.
To support Monarch’s growth agenda, TPG Rise Climate, the climate investing arm of TPG’s global impact investing platform TPG Rise, has made an investment in the JV. With TPG’s support, Monarch is building out a corporate infrastructure as the company transitions to a formal stand-alone entity. As such, the company now seeks to hire a highly motivated and detail-oriented Strategic Finance Associate to support its mission of advancing renewable energy solutions. This leader will play a crucial role in supporting the financial planning, corporate development, and strategic decision-making processes at Monarch. This role is based at headquarters in Houston, TX and will report to the VP of Finance & Strategy and work closely with Chief Financial Officer and Chief Investment Officer.
Experience & Requirements
• At least 2+ years of professional experience across finance, corporate development, M&A or investment analysis; preferably with industry exposure to renewable energy and/or other project-based industries. Experience working with private equity firms or portfolio companies is ideal.
• Advanced financial, organizational, and analytical skills; able to make sound business judgements.
• Strong proficiency in building and managing financial models and budgets for short, medium, and long-term (multi-year) projections for financial performance.
• Experience sourcing M&A targets, including conducting market research such as compiling and synthesizing comparable transactions; Track record of closing deals.
• Experience preparing and creating investment committee decks and board decks for investment approvals.
• Demonstrated success in identifying and nurturing new/ongoing business opportunities. Able to interface with investors and external partners on a consistent basis. (TPG, Board etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to structure and lead projects with cross-functional teams and Executives.
• Displays a high level of initiative; invites, challenges, and explores new ideas while understanding and communicating risks.
• Nimble and entrepreneurial in nature; make decisions with imperfect information; wired for a fast-paced, high-change, private-equity sponsored environment.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, or a related discipline is required.
• Master’s degree or MBA from top-tier program is preferred.
• Ability to travel domestically when necessary (< 20%).