Varsity Brands is the leading school sports apparel and spirit products company in North America. The company is made up of three business units: Varsity Spirits, which designs cheer uniforms and operates training camps and national competitions; Herff Jones, which produces graduation products including class rings and yearbooks; and the largest business, BSN Sports, the leading designer and distributor of sports uniforms and equipment in North America.
The mission of Varsity Brands is to empower young people by encouraging participation, recognizing achievement, and building community and school spirit. The company has approximately $1.7 billion in annual revenue, 9000 employees, and is headquartered in Farmers Branch, TX near Dallas.
Today, Herff Jones Customer Services group includes ~200 total team members, primarily organized by product line and located in Herff Jones plants. The company has grown (largely) through acquisition and, until recently there has been limited integration of the customer service operations in each plant. Although there exists a central, customer experience group located at company headquarters in Indianapolis focused on end-customers (students, parents, etc.), sales and order management support is still handled entirely at the plant level.
The transformation of this department began earlier in 2022 with the streamlining of customer service across product lines and an improved consistency through the regions. The new executive will continue to lead all Customer Service operations and participate in the design and implementation of new, common order management and customer service systems enabled as a part of the enterprise SAP implementation.
In addition to systems and processes, the new executive will also be tasked with building a strong team-based culture within Customer Service that empowers and grows your direct reports. The VP, Customer Experience will have the ability to operate as a player/coach and be comfortable working collaboratively across the organization. This role will report to Andrew Penca, EVP Supply Chain & Operations and ideally, the position would be based in Indianapolis, but Herff Jones is flexible on location with the expectation of regular travel.
Experience & Requirements
At least 15 years of professional experience, with significant experience in well-respected customer service, inside sales, or client experience organizations.
• Experience managing multi-site customer service operations, including multiple locations and inbound channels (phone, email, chat, social media, etc.)
• Past success implementing and utilizing customer service KPIs and metrics to increase customer satisfaction.
• Past success implementing IT systems and related processes to improve operations and customer service KPIs
• Experience with a consumer product manufacturing and supply operations and partnering with these entities on order management customer complaints and other product issues.
• Experience forecasting, budgeting, and leading quarterly and annual business planning processes; expert?level financial, quantitative, and analytical skills.
• Experience building and interpreting customer insight reporting.
• Strong leadership and management skills; experience setting and communicating goals, measuring accomplishments, and giving useful feedback.
• Nimble and entrepreneurial in nature – past success in an environment with a high growth trajectory and limited resources.
• Hands-on player/coach; strong results orientation; continuous improvement and customer service mindset
• Demonstrated ability to recruit, retain, manage, and develop top talent; a natural mentor.
• Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills; comfortable and credible with both internal stakeholders, customers, and external audiences.
• A flexible, dynamic, self-demanding and proactive individual; able to motivate him/herself and others; a natural bias for action and ability to deal with ambiguity