Champion Petfoods is a manufacturer and marketer of premium pet food products that are sold in over 100 countries under the award-winning ORIJEN and ACANA dog and cat food brands. Founded in 1985 and based in Alberta, Canada, with US operations based in Boulder, Colorado, the company has grown to over $1 billion in revenue (#5 premium pet food company in world) and employs 750 people. Champion’s premium pet foods are made with the world’s best ingredients from a specially curated group of leading farmers, ranchers, and fisheries. The company has exhibited a 20% CAGR over the past 3 years and has plans to grow to $2 billion by 2025. Champion is backed by Bedford Capital, a private equity firm based in Toronto, Canada, and Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan.
As part of Champion’s commitment to providing the highest quality pet food, they seek to hire a Vice President, Quality & Food Safety to ensure the successful development, implementation, and maintenance of all quality systems within Champion Petfoods. This role manages company activities and compliance with provincial/state, federal, and international regulations and provides leadership through contributions to strategic planning, development, implementation, and management of Quality Assurance and Quality Control operational processes, systems, tools, and best practices. The role reports to the Chief Supply Chain Officer, leads a team of five Directors and Managers, and may be based remotely or at one of the company locations in the US or Canada.
Experience & Requirements
• At least 15 years of progressive experience in a FDA/cGMP regulated, multi-site manufacturing environments, including leadership of quality function and food safety programs. Animal protein experience is highly desired.
• Comprehensive knowledge of Food Safety (HACCP principals, GMPs, SOPs and SSOPs, Pest Control & Recall programs) and associated standards that include risk management, product testing, capability studies and control plans.
• Understanding of third-party quality certifications including NSF, USP, TGA, Health Canada, IPA, AIB and others.
• Expert knowledge of FDA standards and FSMA regulations.
• Direct experience leading GSFI, SQF or similar food industry production audits.
• 10+ years of leadership experience managing distributed Quality teams in a food production environment.
• Experience working directly with customers and suppliers to proactively address product quality and resolve quality issues.
• Experience creating specifications, standards, protocols, and procedures for quality control in manufacturing, packaging, and new product development.
• Experience developing and leading training programs for quality and food safety.
• Demonstrated ability to recruit, retain, manage, and develop top talent within the supply chain profession; a natural mentor.
• Demonstrated ability to influence others through both direct and indirect networks; a consensus builder and change agent.
• A flexible, dynamic, self-demanding, and proactive individual; able to motivate him/herself and others; a natural bias for action and ability to deal with ambiguity.