Founded in 1982, Kodiak Cakes is one of the fastest growing food companies disrupting the industry with its better-for-you breakfast and snacking options. The company provides 100% whole grain flapjack mix, toaster waffles, baking mixes, oatmeal, syrup, and snacking options to retailers and wholesalers across the country, with a promise of a more nutritious and protein-packed food choice. Kodiak Cakes is headquartered in Park City, UT, employs 150 people, and generates $400M in annual revenue.
As a critical Leadership Team member reporting to the CEO, the Vice President of Product Development (R&D) will play a critical role in helping to build, develop and execute our multi-year strategic innovation roadmap by partnering closely with the Marketing, Operations, Procurement, Design, and Project Management teams. This role will lead the R&D team to identify, develop, and launch better for you products that meet business objectives and consumer expectations for an active and healthy lifestyle. They will lead the team to seek out new ingredients, materials, and platform technologies that drive product innovation, sustainability, quality, cost, and product improvements and they will be required to execute multiple, concurrent product launches and Design-to-Value (DTV) projects from ideation and testing to product commercialization.
Experience & Requirements
– 15+ years’ experience in R&D/Product Development in CPG
– 7+ years’ experience in leading, managing, and coaching R&D / Product Development Teams
– Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science or related field, MS/Ph.D. preferred
– A strong understanding of food chemistry, food safety, and related regulations
– A strong knowledge of formulating with whole grains, plant and dairy based proteins, baked snacking, and baked food categories (including frozen)
– Demonstrated experience developing products in a structured phase-gate system
– Strong understanding of the consumer, retail environment and competitive marketplace
– Demonstrated ability to consistently deliver high-impact results
– Ability to interact and collaborate successfully with all levels and functional areas
– Capacity to align with Execute Leadership to set and communicate product roadmap vision.
– 20% travel required